Sunday, November 18, 2007

Thoughts Before (and After) Rushing to the Spec Office

I believe I have learned the purpose of the so-called "Turkeyshoot." It is like a huge nutcracker (hte quirrel one that is on display at Pinkberry, to be exact). The higher-ups at the Spectator just keep pushing it farther and farther down, waiting to see who cracks first. I have come to the conlusion that the winners will simply be those who last. It is a game of survival to weed out the overly ambitous from the determined and the passionate.

My problem is that I have not quite figured out what I am yet. I don't quite know what I want, so I keep going, testing the waters in more areas than I can feasibly handle. But I still don't know what to give up. The intensity and excitement of News? Or the culture and creativity (and free food!) of A&E? Beyond that, what about the beats that I am shadowing? I like them all, but can I keep up enough to get two articles written for each of them, while shadowing for two editorial positions? Will I take on too much and not end up getting anything because I chose quantity over quality? AH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the other hand, it helps me not need to concentrate on my numerous boy issues. Or I could just forget everything all together and do my school work.

Update: I have spent a good part of my day at the Spec office, and plan to be here for the rest of the night. I am a little bit pissy because I have not worked out all day. After doing mock-editing for two and a half hours this morning, then taking an hour for lunch and coming back for a News meeting, I have yet to leave because I only had an hour before needing to be here for editing shadowing this evening.

I am not sure if I am more upset by the fact that I have spent my entire Sunday here, or the fact that I have nothing better to do on a Sunday than spend my entire day at the Spec office.

No comments: