Monday, July 28, 2008

Sastre wins the Tour, but I was too busy riding my bike to watch the final stage.

Friday was a long day, following a long week; I wanted nothing more than to go home and sleep through the weekend. It's Monday and do I feel refreshed? I had some issues getting up the subway stairs this morning.

There is something about this city that just will not let me relax. There is endless walking and riding my bike, and the occasional run in order to experience the full character of my surroundings. Certain places call for certain exertions. When I found myself at 86th and Central Park West, for example, there was nothing I could do to stop myself from taking a lap around the resevoir. It just had to be done. Like an old friend, I bonded with the spectacular 360 skyline enjoyed by the jogger around the water. And on a Sunday, I had to ride up to Columbia, had to stretch my legs out to New Jersey, make sure the trees were still green and the shoulder was still wide along 9W. When I got back from my ride, with no plans for the day, the streets of Manhattan were calling to me. Calling to be walked, explored. Flipping through New York mag on the train, I came across Berrywild, their interpretation of the best fro yo in the city. "Shane who loves bad boys and fro yo" simply couldn't pass that up. So I walked there, because that's all you can do when you are heading towards a fro yo craving, walk it off before you get there. And then Paragon was just 15 blocks away, so I walked again. Then to Whole Foods, then to Murray's. Pretty soon, I had passed 4 hours on foot, I went home, and I collapsed.

And now here I am, ready to start a tired Monday, because it just can't be helped.

No comments: