Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Musings of a nomadic writer obsessed with exercise

I've had writers' block for a while now, not really able to get the words that I feel down on the page. I have a peculiar internet situation--I live on it at work, literally, and then go home and don't have access, and don't feel like walking to someplace where I can get access because I've been staring at it all day long. It's a roller coaster of overexposure/underexposure, and it's terrible for my blogging habits. Today, though, my mind is flowing better than it has been in the past.

My Monday through Wednesday job can be mind numbing, and Monday is always the worst. Today I feel much better. Tuesday is usually the day I decide to take initiative and invent something for myself to do. I usually come up with something fairly cool on Tuesday, show it to my boss, and then get some sort of direction for what to do on Wednesday. If I had more than one more week here I might figure out how to break this cycle and move it up a day, but for now I'll deal.

I have just realized that I have half-undressed in my office today. Normally, I sit under the air conditioner and it is on full blast, so I have to have a sweater. Today, however, it seems to be a little bit warmer and I have no need for the sweater. I've also taken off my scarf and my belt because I was walking for the entirety of my lunch hour, and came back a bit sweaty and hot. And then there are the shoes, which as flats just beg to be taken off when I sit down. While I am certainly not indecent, and can look quite put together in just a minute or so, I realize that i have more articles of clothing strewn about me than I do on my body.

I went to BerryWild for lunch today. I've got it figured out--1.1 miles there, net 2.2 miles. Takes just about an hour, burns just about as many calories as the fro yo, and I get to explore Murray Hill and Kips Bay. Beautiful lunch hour.

Monday through Wednesday it can be really difficult to figure out when to get in my exercise, the kind that keeps my mind functioning normally. I don't get home until 7 or so, and by that time I'm so tired from sitting around all day that I just want to sit around a little bit more. Other days I have somewhere to be after work and don't get home until 8 or 9.

Last night I meant to go running when I got home, then plopped on the couch to savor the last of my Murray's cheese instead. After the cheese, I thought that running wasn't such a good idea, could be painful. After a few excruciating minutes of not knowing what to do with myself, I decided that it was a beautiful evening and I really needed to get out, so I went for a walk instead. I headed to McCarren park, just in case I was feeling up to a run by the time I got to the track, but ended up taking a left, checking for Top Cheftestants milling about 20 Bayard (yes, Season 5 lives half a mile from me and are currently filming!), and ended up following my nose down streets I'd never walked down before. It ended up being a Tour de Williamsburg of a few miles. I found a few new places that I didn't know existed, and the location of a few that have been on my list. I ended up running the last 3/4 of a mile or so, too, because I wanted to make it home before House, which is my new favorite show, and the only one that I actually watch on a regular basis. Of course, when I got home at 5 to 9, some stupid awards show was on. So I watched One Tree Hill, which was awful. When did it become cool to marry out of high school and have lots of kids? Then I went to bed early...

...and I actually dragged my butt out of bed this morning pre-7 AM so that I could get a little real exercise in. I was planning on running, but the urge to get on my bike overcame me, so I went for a lap in Central Park. I found that I feel much better this morning after riding than I usually do after my regular, sedentary morning ritual. I knew that once I settled into my schedule I'd be more up for exercising in the mornings, but now my summer is almost over!

I think I am really going to miss Brooklyn. Everything is so convenient, yet homey and non-Manhattany. I am even starting to get used to the 6 mile ride into the city. the Queensboro Bridge is usually the largest hill of the day, and it's a great warm up.

No comments: