Monday, October 27, 2008

Unfinished thought, inturrupted by paying attention to class

Oh, Jeff Sachs. I still haven't figured out which side of the fence I'm on when it comes to him. As the semester goes on, however, I am coming to appreciate him more. Almost every day that he lectures he takes a good 20 minutes to explain what is going on in the financial world (read: shitshow). He also slipped in the word "uterus" today in class, which made me smile.

Sachs is such a polarizing figure. my idealist friends worship him, my realist friends despise him. I feel that the overall Columbia mentality, while very liberal on social issues, is fairly conservative when it comes to economics. There certainly are enough economics majors running around here (now looking like they've just lost their entire future. Perhaps they have).

No comments: