Monday, January 12, 2009

11 of 30: Liveblogging jury duty

Every person that I know has groaned when I have mentioned my jury duty today. Besides the fact that it is a blip in routine, I am not sure why. Sure, there are tons of people here, it's crowded and I am sitting on the floor, but what better way is there to really observe the underbelly of our political system. This is politics at its most base: the citizens that are fulfilling their civic duties, from all walks of life, all shapes and sizes, with all different attitudes and ideas about being here. It is one of the most basic ways to be an American.

Perhaps quite obviously, I am not a huge fan of patriotism. I think a lot of it is unnecessary and frankly quite ignorant. I am not a flag-waver. But there is a difference between flag extravagance and actually performing service. I am not a military type. I just don't like the idea of killing people just because they happen to be born in a country whose leaders we cannot get along with. But this is a type of patriotic service that I can give. It is a small price to pay for the opportunity that I have been born with simply by virtue of being an American citizen by birth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"politics at its most base"? Perhaps "politics at its most basic"?

materials said...

chloe purse
chloe paddington handbag
chloe uk
dior
christian dior