Saturday, January 24, 2009

22 of 30: Questioning the randomness of life

What exactly is the science behind those people who write on your Facebook wall for your birthday? It sounds like a ridiculous question, but I the more I think about it, the more it seems to be completely random, and at the same time representative of the social system of my generation. There are certain social norms that you follow, and new ones that we are making up as we go along.

There are so many people that wished me a happy birthday on Facebook. Most of them I rarely talk to. At first I thought it was strange, but as the day progressed, and more and more people started writing on my wall, it began filling my bucket. Is this an indication of how many people in life I have had an effect on? Or is it simply an indication of who is glued to Facebook? I am inclined towards the former, though I know that my viewpoint might be a little skewed. I think of all those who I would want to wish a happy birthday, though, and it is a lot more than I would normally be able to before Facebook. It's not that I didn't care before, but through facebook, I can act on it without struggling to keep up with the hundreds of people that I have built up relationships with over the years.

Maybe I am too much of an optimist, but I think that Facebook is great. Maybe it is shallow, but it actually made me feel special on my birthday.

No comments: