Tuesday, January 6, 2009

5 of 30: I'm getting regular

I am sitting in Peet's, with my soy Cafe au Lait, as I have forgone dairy after being inspired by Fe Bird. Before I was writing, I was enjoying Harry Potter à l'École des Sorciers, my favorite new way of keeping up with my French while I'm away on vacation. As I write this, I have switched to RFI, my other favorite way of keeping up with French while I'm in Ventuky. The news is always more fun when you only understand some of what the journalists are saying.

I can't say that I am going to be glad to leave this wonderful amount of personal space that I enjoy here in Ventucky. Emotionally, perhaps I will be glad to leave, but physically, it is nice to sit here in this coffee shop and actually have enough space to breathe, and have only a moderate noise level surrounding me. I can take up a whole table to myself without anyone giving me a dirty look. True enough, I could probably get about the same thing at Think or Aroma at the right time, but they are simply too far away. Of course, there is Starbucks, but the atmosphere there is just awful. I suppose that I should really frequent Hungarian more often...perhaps that should be one of my New Year's resolutions.

Peter and I canvassed W. Ventura yesterday and took pictures at key scenic spots. I'm excited to finally have some decent, recent pictures of myself to post on Facebook. Is it sad that this sort of thing excites me? Perhaps, but it is better than not getting excited about anything, I presume...

No comments: