Thursday, April 30, 2009

A new episode of Shane takes on too much in her life.

Banging my head against the wall. Should have a paper done by 3 p.m. tomorrow. Ah!! So not going to happen. I really wonder whether it is possible to be a good bike racer and a good student at the same time [this season/semester tells me no]. It's definitely impossible to do those two and be a good editor. I think my lesson this semester is that taking on so much just sets me up for disappointment across the board.

My biggest problem is that I don't know what I like yet, so I just continue to do all the things that I think I like. But then I just continue to produce mediocrity. What to do? I mean, obviously, picking would be a good start, but now's not quite the time to quit. Sometimes I just wish I could prove that I was good at something.

[Insert lecture about how stereotypically Columbia I am here] Maybe instead of complaining I should get on my bike and start proving that I am better than mediocre.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you need to ask yourself just how far you see yourself going with cycling. Based on the level of intellectual aptitude you've shown here, your schoolwork and internships, properly tended to, will almost certainly lead to career paths that are sustainable, practical, and hopefully fulfilling. If you neglect them, your time, tuition and career potential will go to waste proportionally.

If cycling is cutting into your time to a detrimental extent, my opinion is that you need to scale it back to a hobby, and forgo competition until your academic life stabilizes. It is easy to get sucked into competitive athletics, but unless you are truly world class, it will not pay your bills.

And if you are truly world class, then I think you know what to do.