I made this for my vegan feast today. I like it because the ingredients have some depth, and it has a lot of protein for those meatless friends of mine. Quinoa has 9g of protein per serving--the most of any grain. It is also colorful: red, green, and yellow; and has enough flavor to stand up to a red wine.
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup red quinoa
1/2 cup white quinoa
2 cups water or broth
5-8 spears asparagus
1/2 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
4 artichoke hearts
cayenne pepper, to taste
salt, to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan.
2. Add garlic, cook for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add quinoa, sautee in oil for about 1 minute.
4. Add water and spices. Bring to a boil over high heat.
5. Bring heat down to medium and cook quinoa with pot covered until water has disappeared (about 15 minutes)
6. When water is almost gone, stir in cut asparagus, chickpeas, and artichoke hearts.
7. Serve warm.