Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Everything in my life tied to the weather

I distinctly remember leaving my apartment this morning. I thought to myself as I was one flight down the stairs: "It's supposed to rain today, I should go back and get my umbrella." However, I was in a hurry to get out of the sweatbox, so I left without it. I am now sitting at Starbucks on 19th and Park, several blocks from any train that could get me towards home, watching the streets flood before my eyes. And, for the second week in a row, I am out without an umbrella in a downpour wearing my thin cloth shoes. Something tells me that I won't be track racing this evening.

This weather is something of a metaphor for my life. Cliche maybe, but it's a shitstorm that I'm stuck in without an umbrella, clear of any easy public transportation. Maybe I could take a cab in an emergency, but I'm not privledged or rich enough to really afford that.

Now that you've got that visual, I'm tired of discussing my problems. There are many strange business-looking people sitting to my left in Starbucks. They are dressed for meeting, but studying the map and snapping photos like tourists. And the guy that just walked past the window obviously was in too much of a hurry to use his umbrella after buying it that he forgot to take the rather large and obvious tag off of it. Hehe.

Sometimes, I wonder if it's appropriate to carry around a rather loud umbrella if it doesn't match your outfit? I think the girl that just walked by me with an olive green dress and a magenta umbrella proves that, no, it is by no means appropriate.

The thunder is rattling the windows. It's telling me to be less judgmental. It's voice sounds a lot like Alex Castillo when he tells me that I'm judgmental, but in a way that really just eggs me on. :)

No comments: