Sunday, September 13, 2009

%$#?!?!?

I am not a huge fan of English right now; rather, I'm trying to force myself not to be, but this caught my eye this morning. I read it and it made me rather triste. I love Maureen Dowd for addressing it, as well as just being rather awesome and a bit bitchy in general. It's not something that we can afford to ignore. Part of me thinks that trying to pretend that it doesn't exist just gives it tacit approval to continue. And yet addressing it would be a politically unstable move.

I wonder if race is something that we can ever overcome. I think that it's human nature to fear change and differences. That is not to say that it is right to act on that fear, or that somehow that makes it okay. But just because it is wrong, and tout le monde knows/is taught that it is wrong, doesn't mean that it will go away. There are still people that steal, rape, murder. There always will be. It is not like smallpox, it can't be eradicated (can it?). At the same time, condoning it doesn't help the situation. We have made great strides since the 1960's. I guess I'm just a little depressed that some people could still have such thoughts.

No comments: