Thursday, September 17, 2009

This one time, on the metro...

Communication is something that I have really been paying attention to lately. It's really interesting how much you can pick up from non-verbal cues. Tonight, while waiting for the subway, I noticed a young guy, early twenties, walk onto the platform with his grandparents. When the train came a minute or two later, I of course made sure to jump in the same car (fate can't happen without opportunity, bien sur).

Because of the other people in the car, grandpa was sitting in the back of the car, grandma was sitting in the middle, grandson was leaning on the wall next to grandma, and I had the perfect view smack in between all of them. Grandson was playing cool, arms crossed, looking more like security detail than anything else. Grandma was getting frisky, though. She kept saying something to grandson, and trying to get him to sit down on one of the empty seats around her. When that didn't work, she focused on grandpa. She patted the seat beside her, waved him over, and gave him what can only be described as a seductive look. Grandpa wasn't having any of it. She thought about it for a second, then decided to get a little more animated with her gestures. She tried again to elict a response out of grandson. He cracked a smile, and as she was laughing, she threw her head back and knocked her head against one of the poles behind her.

At this point, I could no longer pretend not to be watching. We made eye contact, and both started laughing as the train pulled into my station. Just as I was about to get up, she waved. I smiled and waved back as I exited. I feel like I made a new friend.

My life is average. Except it's SOOOOOO not.

1 comment:

nick said...

Ahh, les françaises... parfois ils sont assez gentils.

Found your blog while looking up stuff on "Ventucky" (I am a sometimes-nostalgic former V-Towner). I enjoyed your writing. Looks like things are going great for you (evidently a touch better than they are for grandma).

À bientôt.