Friday, February 19, 2010

Tortilla Flat


You may or may not know that I come from Southern California. You also may or may not know that I love tacos. Not this kind of taco, but real tacos made with seasoned pork or beef or fish, a little cilantro and onion, some spicy salsa, and a fresh tortilla. These are tacos. The kind you can get on the side of a dusty road in Baja.

I have long lamented the lack of good Mexican cuisine in New York. Mama Mexico on 100th St. and Broadway just doesn't cut it for me. So when I read about Nixtamal in Queens, making tortillas out of freshly ground corn masa rather than harina, I was immediately obsessed. Unfortunately, I was also about to embark upon a road trip with my dad, then a quick turnaround packing for Paris.

Today I finally made the journey out to Corona. And I think the photos speak for themselves. It was better than a trip to Rosarito Beach.

No comments: