Thursday, March 4, 2010

Off to the races muffins!

When I get stressed, I bake. When I have to have food prepared for a whole weekend, I also bake. Since I couple these two issues with having absolutely no money in my checking account, I searched high and low for a recipe that included only ingredients that I happen to have at the moment. This recipe originally called for butter, but olive oil (which I actually had) seemed to work just fine, and was a heart-healthy option.
These are my "off to the races!" muffins.
Ingredients
2 small ripe bananas, mashed
4 oz plain yogurt
2 small cooked sweet potatoes, skinned and mashed
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup applesauce
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour (all-purpose or gluten free mix)
1/2 cups oatmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
Method
1. Preheat the oven to 375° F. Line two standard muffin pans with paper liners. In a large bowl, combine the bananas, yogurt, sweet potatoes, and sugar. Mix on high speed until lightened in color and texture, about 3 minutes. Add the oil, applesauce, eggs and vanilla and mix until well-combined, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl when necessary.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, oatmeal, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on low speed until just combined.
3. Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling them a little more than halfway. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.

No comments: