Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Great American dessert

Two days straight of making pie. "Why..." you might say, "would you be making pies at the tail end of a major heatwave in your crappy little apartment with barely-working air conditioning?"

That's a very good question. This is why. The Great American Pie Off. I found this in Time Out NY on Thursday and decided that it was an opportunity that I just couldn't pass up. On Thursday after work I broke out the mixing bowls, went out and bought a pastry cutter and a rolling pin, and set to work making dough. It's been a while since I made a pie crust: longer even than it has been since I've blogged (!). Beyond the simple fact that I wasn't sure I remembered how to roll out pastry dough, I was also unsure about how the dough was going to react to the hot/humid conditions, so I wanted to make sure I had time to make more than one pie. So Thursday night was crust night, last night was the first try, and today was potentially reserved for the final try.


Sure enough the first one I made came out less-than-spectacular, though that was more because I didn't put enough flour in the topping than anything else. In the picture it actually looks pretty good, but in reality the topping is soft and greasy rather than crunchy and delicious, so I opted for cutting into this one and making another for the contest. It came out much better. 

And now it's off to the races! Or to the Pie Off, rather...

No comments: